 Castle / Ninja / 45
Re: What kinds of rooms are in Japanese castles ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 17:39:25 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Kung-Khoon Quah writes:
Here's my open question for the group which will help me out when I am
planning my interiors.  I am planning a very large (4 gray baseplate)
Himeji castle

You and me both =8^)

and would like to have some ideas on what people have >read
or think are legitimate Japanese castle rooms.
Example, the main donjon at Himeji was a command center so the upper floors
served as living quarters for the lord's so we have bedrooms, audience
chambers, meditation rooms, tea rooms.  It usually has storage rooms and
the obligatory arsenal/armory rooms.
Probably administrative rooms for clerks were found there.
What other rooms do you think ?

KK

The reason why I built my "Gatehouse" in such large scale was to get a feel
for how large a structure would need to be to accomodate many of the rooms
you mention.  A personal goal is to build a structure that can comfortably
display 50-100 minifigs representing different functions. I also would like
to have a couple honest to goodness "hallways" both on outside walls and
internally w/ rooms on either side.

I have also read about the complex defenses of Castle like Himenji and I am
trying to recreate some of them.  I remember reading in a couple different
links about "secret floors" and chambers being an intrinsic part of many
don-jons.  it is hard to determine how many levels/floors there are in these
beauties, just from the external pics.  Essentially one of the greatest
strengths of these fortresses was the confusing nature of its defenses;
enemies could not accurately guage the floorplans from the outside.
Building a secret floor is another personal goal

You have the high points of what I want to include in my creation (space
permittng).  In addition to the rooms, I wish to pay attention to "finishing
touches" like sliding doors, cross beams, mats, pillows, furniture etc. to
create a more authentic feel.  Let's just throw together a list that can be
added to:

Meditation room
Armory
Bedrooms
Sewing room
Tea rooms
Storage / Larder
"Offices" for scribes/poets/clerks/messengers
"Secret/Hidden" chamber w/ seperate entrance
"Vault" a treasure room or hiding place for an Emperor
"Exercise room" -Martial-Arts practice room
Planning/map room - for military campaigns
Advisor's Library/Study
Hallways
Sliding Doors to rooms
Secret entrance/exit?
Court chamber for Imperial courtiers/nobles

well that's my 2 Log Walls worth = )

                    John

Audience chamber