 Castle / Ninja / 153
Re: Ninja Weaponry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:57:17 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Sun Yun writes:
I was wondering what kind of advanced weaponry medieval Japanese armies used
back in the day.

By advanced weaponry, I'm refering to large seige weapons such as trebuchets
and catapults etc etc.   I suppose they don't have to be land based either.

There are a couple of seige weapons in the Ninja theme but I'm wondering if
they're even accurate.  I don't remember seeing stuff like that before.  I
watched Akira Kurosawa's "Ran" last year and can't remember any large weaponry.

So anyways, if you know of any good links or can provide any good
information that would be great.  A site with pictures would be especially
helpful.

I'm only asking all this because there's a medieval brikwars game coming up
and I feel like my army is looking a little sad with just foot soldiers and
cavalry.

sun

Hi Sun,

They didn't. The Japanese rarly got into proper seige situations, it wasn't
considered honorable to hide in your castle. Few serious seigd weapons were
used, or at least, were recorded as having been used.
If there was a siege it was basically a waiting game, the defenders rarely
did well beacuse the castle would be surrounded and it would get nearly no
supplies except for water. (most castles were build over springs)
I have a few books on the subject and I will look into it for you. You could
always just punt and invent something cool!

GREG~