 Castle / 5554
Re: A Lego Map
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:21:12 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:

Andy Lynch <andy@andyandjackie.com> wrote in message
news:00be01bff573$0746fc40$0f0112ac@meridianhealth.com...
Hello everyone...
I have been playing with this idea for a while, and I don't remember ever
seeing someone do this before, so I thought I would toss out the idea and
see what people think.  Lots of people enjoy making up stories and telling
them with the aid of their Lego bricks, but I haven't seen anyone make a
large scale, continental map using Lego.

Shiri made her scale overhead view of her town for Castle, but I'm talking
about a much larger scale. I tip my hat in Shiri's direction as a spark • for
this idea. :-)

I used to love drawing my own maps when I played Dungeons and Dragons, way
back, so this is a natural extension for me.

I made a sample and put it on my webpage:

http://www.andyandjackie.com/lego/Map0.htm

If people like the idea, maybe we'll see some entire planets modeled in 3d
Lego...

-Andy Lynch

My younger daughter was required to make a map of NC as part of a 4th grade
project.  She made hers from Lego.  She took the picture and with help from
her older sister created her own webpage for this project.
http://www.emote.org/drosez/map.html

And I can push the idea back to 1976 or 1977, when as part of a social
studies class, we use LEGO bricks to explore city planning, see the
following Lugnet posts for more details:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=3854
http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=3936

The idea was also raised early in the Castleworld discussion.

It's a great idea though, no matter who thought of it first.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com