 Castle / 2564
Re: [MOC][CW] The Red Fox's Den
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:43:15 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
WOW! jeff, i've admired this three times now! it looks great on my big
webtv!

Aw, now I'm all blushing and stuff. 8)

firstly, hats off to a brilliant minifig creation. i did a real
double-take on that torso! i knew it wasn't a lego produced torso, but i
recognized the graphic as an official TLC design! .. from where..? i was lol
when it hit me!  does the cunning red fox mash mud!? (how much mud could a
red fox mash if a red fox could indeed mash mud?) ;-)

The sticker is indeed one of the reasons that minifig exists.  It's
amazing what sort of things combine to produce an idea.  I picked up the
Mud Masher at an Ames BOGO 50% sale because I wanted a few more Technic
parts to add to my inventory (to make Cornelius' mech, I had to
scavenge the friction pins from my A-Wing! Clearly I needed more!) and I
thought the little 'fox head' logo was cool...at the time I was thinking
of a minifig representation of a role-playing character of mine, but when
I started thinking about that sign, and the new smirking head...and I
needed a mage anyway, well, the whole thing fell into place.  Including
the feud with the Gray Wolf, which will be detailed at some time in the
future...

btw, i personally am looking forward to soon recieving my very first MMW
set, (mint from germany)! i've wanted this set for so long (years, _really_)
that i'll probably weep sweet tears when i assemble it. ;_)

I was very pleased with mine (Thanks to Ali Vahidsafa (sp?) and Larry P.
(not even gonna try) who enabled me to get the set, and who put up with an
embarassing payment goof-up...nothing like forgetting to *sign* the Money
Order...)

i must take this opportunity to cite this (imho) as an excellent example
of a CW Balladeer contribution! here we have a terrific model, a colorful
character, in an engaging story presentation.  proof that a structure
needn't be huge, (tho' certainly can be)

I'm still far from able to make the gigantic creations like the famous Ed
Boxer's Castle - or even your Red Castle (which I am patiently waiting to
see more of!).  The tree itself had several false starts, and even now I'm
not completely pleased with it, but it will suffice for now. 8)

and a story needn't be an epic
(tho' linked togeter, certainly could form one!) who knows how pivotal this
small gathering over ales could be in your grand scheme of things!? you
allude to much.

That was indeed my intent...and there are some *very* pivotal things about
the tree and what is beneath it...including the reason Sain left his
apprenticeship, the reason he keeps wandering, and the reason he keeps
returning...(all three the same reason...)

the construction and photography notes seperated from the story is a very
good format. although the color is a little muted, the overall effect _does_
lend an air of warm home-ness that one would expect in a fox's den. i think
it looks nice. :-)

The only thing that bugs me is the tendency of red to show up as a sort of
magenta color.  If I could fix that I'd be very pleased.  I've taken a few
pictures using the flash, and they come out *very* sharp, including the
shadows.  I have (or had) a picture of an Adventurer's car taken in the
room lighting and one with the flash, and the difference is like day and
night (literally - the 'cooler' colors and the sharpness of the shadows in
the flash pic make it look like a desert night under a full moon, while
the 'warmer' incandescent light makes it look like daytime.)

I need to experiment with some of the more advanced features like White
Balance, as well as dragging another light over to the area, to see if I
can make the colors come out a bit better while still retaining that
'warm' atmosphere.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. 8)  I'll try not to let my head swell
too much.