 Castle / 18292
Re: New Tolkien chapters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:25:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman wrote:
Hey Bruce,
I really like the work you did with the army of the dead!  The ghosting on the
images is cool!  I like how you didn't make the scene about the effects, but let
the effects enhance the scene!  Very nice.

Thanks, Jon.  To make those pictures I took about 20 individual pictures of
soldiers.  Then I cut and pasted them into one huge (20 MB) Photoshop file,
where I adjusted hue and saturation and put each of them in a seperate layers.
Then I would take the non-ghost picture and paste it into the ghost Photoshop
file, choose which layers I wanted to use, put them at 65% opaqueness, and
flattened the image.  It took a lot of time, but once I made the first ghost
file, the next four pictures went pretty easily.

I love seeing your work (your
aragorn really does have a "foul feeling" look.  Ithink it's the stubble!  The
hole in the deeping wall was a nice touch, as well as the tents at the
encampment!

Thanks.  I can't really claim credit for the tent design as I've seen several
variations on the basic shape on Brickshelf.

Congrats, Since there will be no shire scouring in the NLC films,
I'm really looking forward to yours,

:P  I've been putting off Shire locations since I keep wanting to move forward
in the story rather so I can get more of The Return of the King done before the
next movie comes out.  Eventually, though, I'll have to make Shire locations for
both the start and end of the book.  I'm a bit intimidated by your Bag End MOC.
Yours is so good that mine will either pale by comparison or else look very
derivative.

On that note, I also have to go back and redo the Prancing Pony.  That was the
first structure I did for this story and you can tell it had been probably 15
years since I had last built much LEGO.  Then you built yours and mine just
looked silly.  Sometimes I consider taking that chapter down as it's the first
one that visitors to my site will see, and I'm much happier with all of the
other chapters.  They do pass by the Prancing Pony in the third chapter from the
end, so that will give me a chance to re-do the exterior (I felt okay about my
common room).

although I'll be bummed when you complete
the book.

Thanks for your faith that I will.  :)  At a rate of putting up something new
every other month you'll still have a long time to wait.  Sometimes it's
frustrating, as there are other projects I'd be interested in pursuing (either
the Lone Ranger or High Noon), but I really want to get this done before
starting anything else big.

Bruce