 Castle / 17771
17770  |  17772
Subject:
The Castle community (my thoughts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:57:44 GMT

Hello!

I know, I’m quite late....

The question was, what’s the future of the Castle community. So first of all: Who actually is the Castle community? My thoughts are as follows:

1. People who build castles and castle related stuff.
1.1 Castles
1.1.1 Model building of real castles (like Bob Carney)
1.1.2 Castles of own imagination, based on reality (like me :-) )
1.1.3 Castles in fantasy worlds (including those worlds)
1.1.4 Not castles but medieval buildings like villages, towns, cathedrals
1.1.5 Other medieval stuff like siege weapons, carriages...
1.1.6 Ninja (could also be just “Castle related”, but since it is an somewhat official subthemme within the LEGO Castle line I added it here)
1.2 Castle related stuff
1.2.1 Ancient Themes (Roman, Greek, Egyptian, ...)
1.2.2 Less ancient Themes (Buildings from the periods between the Middle Ages and Nowtime)
1.2.3 Lord of the Rings stuff or buildings from other archetypes (Movies, games, whatever)
1.2.4 Buildings from other LEGO lines that are also Castle related (Castle Moonbase modules, Pirate fortresses, maybe even Jabba’s Palace)
1.2.5 Other (fantasy) creations like Mecha-style dragons and so on.
1.3 Things I didn’t think of :-)

2. People who collect LEGO Castle sets.

3. People who tell Castle stories (Castle World).

4. People who create custom Castle models and sell them.

5. People who like Gaming (Castle Quest).

6. People who neither build nor collect Castle but are nevertheless interested in such things.

7. People who I didn’t think of.

Most people probably belong to two or more groups. However, belonging to just few of the above mentioned groups doesn’t mean one is not interested in other activities, too. This is why I think that a Castle Community Webpage (like www.classic-space.com for the Space community) should cover all or at least many of the things above.

It could include set reviews (a whole set database is probably not neccessary since we already have several databases) and maybe a LEGO Castle Set Family Tree, areas for Own Creations (Castle, castle related, ...), an area for Gaming (whole area or just a link to CastleQuest?), an area for epic stories (whole area or just a link to Castle World?), an area for group projects (Medieval Marketplace, modular town etc.), a market place area (custom Castle kits, trading parts and sets?), a link to Lugnet.castle (A completely new forum/newsgroups is not neccessary IMHO. We have Lugnet. Lugnet is for many people the first contact to a LEGO community no matter which theme. This contact shouldn’t be broken. Also Lugnet keeps us in contact to other LEGO themes and discussions. So I think another forum/newsgroup would split the Castle community rather than unite us.) Special features like polls or Castle “something” Of The Month elections could help to provide activity. Also a link section to peoples’ Castle homepages is important.

Now, these are thoughts, most of them are possibly thought by other people before. The question remains: Who will maintain a Community Homepage, who is willing, has the time and the skills to create it? Who pays for the required webspace? Who has the nerves to withstand the hostilities from people who think their ideas do not get the adequate attention? :-) Who sets the rules? Who decides about what will be added to the page, about design and upcoming projects?

Well, just thoughts that stormed my brain. However, it’s deep in the night and I’ll turn into Morpheus’ arms now.

Good night!
Jojo