 Castle / 14958
Re: Regarding the Market Place
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 00:01:29 GMT

Hey everyone,

Alan just wrote me and said that the account he uses for lugnet is down so
he can't post.  He asked me to post the following for him.

His message starts here:

Alan says,

Generally, the overall focus for creating the marketplace document was
indeed for a flea-market type area.

While I have a couple of other projects that I want to complete first before
tackling a marketplace structure, I'm already planning a tent/canvas-covered
type stall.

That doesn't (and shouldn't, IMO) "disqualify" the permanent structures that
Ben, Nathan, and others have already created. These are beautiful buildings
which have already given me further ideas for creating my own permanent
buildings. (Thanks, guys!!!)

I'm quite pleased to see that the basic outline of the marketplace document
can and has been used for other medieval structures, so that when a group
gathers they have a wide variety of structures to arrange into a town setting.

I've spent today mulling over things, and it occurred to me that many towns
would have a sort of market-square -- a wide open area surrounded by
permanent structures, which filled up with temporary stalls on market days.
So there is room for both types of structures. (In fact, we NEED both kinds,
I think).

When a group gathers, those with permanent buildings will create the edges
of the market-square, and those with temporary stalls will fill the space in
the middle.

Or, whatever....  :)

From the basics of the marketplace document, we have the ability to create a
varied, colourful, and yes, somewhat jumbled, market day in medieval towns.
I think that's pretty cool.

I'm not going to nit-pick over whether each standard in the document is
religiously adhered to -- that's not what I believe it's purpose is. But it
does give us the general guidelines that will allow our creations to "get
along" with each other when they meet.

Not bad, eh!

Alan

End of Alan's message.