 Castle / 14800
Re: Loyal to .castle? [ROLL CALL]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:57:02 GMT

Hi Hugh,

wow! Impressive collection of figs! I try to collect Ninja figs exlusively,
selling the Castle figs off to try and gain more Ninja sets and figs.
I have actually been toying with several ideas for MOCs the last month or
so; none have been put together, as they are still ideas on the drawingboard
- but to give you - and others who are interested - an idea of what MOC
Ninja sets could be like, I've listed my thoughts and ideas here:

Philosophy of my MOC's:

1) As someone else on here stated, the MOC's should be kept small and
   manageable! No 400+ bricks things; this would have the added benefit
   of keeping in line with castle sets, where it seems the best sets are
   often the small, well thought through sets.
2) The MOC's should mainly consist of easy accessible parts! The MOC's should,
   in my opinion, be meant as inspiration for others; keeping the sets in
   parts that most people have, with a few special or rare items thrown in,
   would make the MOC be built and enhanced around the Lego community.
3) Stand on the shoulders of giants! Many of my MOC's are inspired by sets
   allready in the Lego Castle line, but reworked to fit the Ninja theme. So,
   look to existing products for inspiration.

The list of the MOC's that toy around in my head (like any wanna-be Lego
developer, I have of course given them set numbers allready :o)):

N1011 "Kami Entrance"
One green baseplate, two pillars made from two 2x2x3 75 slopes each, topped
by 2 horisontal bars of one 1x10 and one 1x14 bricks. Throw in a guard with
a katana - could be a nice little set.

N1012 "Ninja War drum"
a green plate with 4 1x2 bricks topped by one 1x2 tile each. Resting on them
2 half-cylinders 4 bricks across, 2 1x4 radar dishes at the ends. 1 Drummer,
one guard included.

N1013 "Ninja War Galley"
Basically a reworked "Viking Voyager" in white, red and black. As I really
liked the Viking Voyager in the castle line, the Ninjas get one too!

N1014 "Blacksmith"
A large green plate, 4 pillars of round 1x1 bricks rising to a square of
bricks, topped with black roof tiles, 33 degrees at the bottom, 45 degrees
on the top. A few katanas, body armours and an old blacksmith rounds the set
off.

N1015 "Shinto Shrine"
Build basically as the Blacksmith, only larger, it has a small bridge, running
across a stream, that gives the impression that the shrine is built on a
artificial island in a lake. Has a gong in the form of 2 1x4 radar dishes
back-to-back.

N1016 "Bolt Thrower"
Heavy artillery for the Ninjas in the form of a repeater bolt thrower. The
one is familiar with the Warhammer Repeater Bolt Thrower, seen in this link:
http://www.hillcity-comics.com/role_play/GW/GW8506Ga.htm
Basically the idea is to make the large bow with 2 horns from the Dinosaur
in the adventure theme, use 4-8 4L antennas as bolts and built a slender
stand with 4 legs. Manned by 2 crewmembers.

Hopefully, I will be able to build and take pictures of some of the MOC's
within reasonable time. In the meantime, I would like to hear your opinions,
suggestions for improvements and general comments as this is my first "real"
post on LUGnet.

Kind regards from
Christer