 Castle / 134
Re: Who is Robin Hood?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:12:33 GMT

I see your point, however it seems that the line between ruler and subject was
not as clear as it is in today's sets.  If you look at the King's Castle 6080,
you would be hard pressed to say there is one particular "King" in that set.
There are knights with armor versus regular men-at-arms on the battlements.
On the other hand, if you look at Shanghai Surprise 3050 the figure in the
raised chair is definitely the leader.

Anyways, I don't think there is a definite way to answer your question.  ie
there was never any arrow pointing to a particular figure saying that this was
Robin Hood.  Another way to go about answering your question is to look at the
box and/or instruction artwork.  I would think that the Robin Hood character
would be the one that looks the most important.  Take 6066 again as an
example, the black Forestman is the one riding in on the horse hailing his
fellow Forestmen.

Another angle is that TLG might have wanted to steer away from a major
character in the Forestmen line, to add to the image of an equal society the
way Robin Hood and his merry men are portrayed in modern literature.

Remember these are my own personnal ramblings, heed or disregard as required!!
Dan M.  :>)