 Castle / 12564
Re: Can I glass you a question?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 05:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Carlo Catuogno writes:
In lugnet.castle, Adam Murtha writes:
I've been admiring my (Dan's) Blacksmith Shop, and I got thinking about the
upstairs windows.  Did they have glass in the 'castle era?'

Well, Glassmaking was invented 3,300 years ago in Mesopotamia and Syria.
Instructions were written  down on cuneiform tablets and passed down from
generation to generation, so to answer your question they did have glass in
the middle ages.

Hope That Helps

   Despite the existence of glass in the period, and its use in windows
   from at least the Roman period forward, it was an imperfect (and very
   expensive!) science.  Glass windows were usually restricted to
   composite panes and religious glass (because that's the only group who
   could pay for them, save some kings!), and remained so until the 16th
   century.  You really don't see large plate glass in quantity until
   the 1700s; it spreads mostly with the rise of merchant/middle classes
   (thus why the really good old plate glass is in England, the Netherlands,
   and northern France).

   So yes, there was glass; no, it probably wasn't that common, but if any
   personal home would have it, I'd bet the blacksmith could.  :)

   best

   LFB