 Castle / 11735
Re: Random thought regarding Cinderella
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:08:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tanya K. Burkhart writes:
Okay - Cinderella is a European fairy tale - why did they have a PUMPKIN to
turn into a coach?  Pumpkins are new world plants. Is it another lost in the
translation thing, like the fur slippers vs. glass slippers?

Fairy tales change with time, to better fit the current conditions and ideals
of the time.  In fact, the origin of Cinderella, IIRC, is China, although
almost every culture seems to have a variation on it, or at least a similar
story.

Jeff