 Castle / 11625
11624  |  11626
Subject:
Paranor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 02:26:04 GMT

I have posted pics of a castle I've been working on for the last eleven
years. The pictures of it are not the greatest quality, due to using a
webcam to take them, and not everything is included in the pictures. Let me
explain a bit of what this castle is about, and what it stands for, at least
to me.

This castle represents every family line that the Lego company has produced
since the time of minifig creation in 1978, when I was two years old. This
is most often shown in the form of a shield displaying a family crest on it
(ie: Black Monarch, Black Falcon, even the Gungan shield from the Gungan
Patrol set). I have tried to get all of the family crests that I know of,
meaning the ones that were released not only in the US, but those released
specifically in other countries, ala Castle Town Square. The only one I am
missing currently is the shield from Hogwarts castle, there is also a
tapestry from that set that I will need to place on the inner castle walls.
On the top floor of the West tower, one of these family crests is displayed
in reverse on the stain-glass-windows, these crests came from the original
Prince's guard from set 383, Knights Tournament. The other two shields from
that set are displayed at the bottom floor of that tower. In all, there are
30 crests on the castle so far.

I have, as well, placed several working hearths in the castle, the grand
hearth is displayed in one of the pictures. I have also placed working
candle sticks upstairs in brackets. The hearths were accomplished using the
old 4.5 or 12 volt lights and battery packs. The candles accomplished with
the 9 volt double headed light elements from the mid to late 80s through the
90s. I still have to put a few lights in that upstairs chamber on the West
tower, allowing the stained glass immage to display largely on the walls.

It is certainly far from the best of castles I have seen over the years of
interest in Lego, nor is it the most detailed. I have not the pieces to do
what I would really like with it. This will change over time, of course, as
the castle has changed dramatically over the years. It is a historical piece
for the Lego company. In the beginning, I had not planned the castle to
become what it has. I never planned that what I started building at the age
of fourteen would be something that would continue until today. In the long
run, this castle will never be completed until the Lego company ceases the
castle line entirely, but the family crests have been made for other lines,
as well; star wars, wild west, and the pirates.