 Castle / 10546
Re: Pics of my new castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 05:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Steffan Davies writes:

Nice idea to have everything swing open.  BTW, whoever built those old style
cars deserves a cigar....very good stuff!!!

Yeah, those cars are pretty nice!

I decided to make my castle open up and be as modular as possible after various
problems associated with transporting my last (much smaller) castle to
Brickfest.

Unfortunately we didn't get any pics of the castle fully assembled, but I think
one or two pics at the bottom left give a decent impression of the inner
bailey/ward and keep. The other wall parts floating around (including the big
mainly black gatehouse) mainly form the outer wall. The smaller grey gatehouse
front attaches to the gatehouse on the inner wall. The structure built on
the raised baseplate from the Kings Mountain fortress, is a defensive cannon
position, and makes up part of the outer wall. The outer wall doesn't entirely
surround the inner wall, and the inner wall only surrounds half of the keep or
so, but all in all, I am pretty happy with the finished result. It was fun
building the tan tower, out of mainly bricks instead of wall pieces (3 two by
one service packs).

I don't know how well the pics show it, but the red tower-like-thing is an inn
located outside the outer wall on a separate harbour area. I built the war ship
specially so the harbour would not be shipless. This harbour can be accessed
from the castle through a narrow gatehouse with a drawbridge. The idea is that
rough sailors and other "mean sort" can come in from weeks on the sea, mingle
with tavern wenches and unwind with a flagon or ten of ale, without endangering
the security of the castle.

I may not get any more pics of the castle before I leave to go to college in a
few days, but I will certainly get another photo session done, before I break
up the castle.