 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 774
Re: Landscapes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:33:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, George Manousakis writes:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Rick Hallman writes:
Is thier a program to generate landscapes withen POV-Ray and smoke as well?
I need a landscape and smoke for a scene I am going to do with some of my
Scorpions and a pair of fighters of 'unknown origin'.

I found this smoke site, it says it works with POV 3.1 but I haven't tried
it yet:

http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch/smokegen/

Some explosions too, I haven't tried yet:

http://user.baden-online.de/~mbachman/pile/spec_eng.htm

You can use Heightfields to create rocky terrain with Pov-Ray or you can try
Terragen:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/

Terragen is fun, but it's not 100% there.  The biggest problem is that it
won't export terrain textures -- the colors and stuff that represent rock,
brush, snow, etc.  I figured a very poor hack around this, if you're
interested drop me a line when you're ready to export.  In the mean time, it
appears that MegaPOV's slope-map function may accomplish the same degree of
terrain textures, without any of the slop of my Teragen solution; I'll
publish something if I can get that to work.

BTW -- stay away from those fighters of "unknown origin".  They often work
for "evil empires" and work to "corrupt our minds" and "subvert our youth".

...Sorry, couldn't resist!  ;-)

Cheers,
- jsproat