 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 686
Re: Is there some pov-ray friendly version of car wash brush part?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:09:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

Does anyone know how to make the matrix for a 4-4cyli.dat
with radius R and endpoints (x1,y1,z1) and (x2,y2,z2) ?

Sorry, I don't have an algorithm or formula handy.

Would the following steps work?  The only 'magic' bit (for me) is finding a
vector normal to two other vectors.  That should be doable, I just don't
know how to do it.

Take endpoints P1 <x1,y1,z1> and P2 <x2,y2,z2>.
Figure the vector V1 = P2 - P1.
Figure the cylinder's height, H (the length of V1).
Find a vector V2 which is normal to V1 and <0,1,0>
Find the angle T between V1 and <0,1,0>

With this information, you can write LDLite code for the cylinder:

0 TRANSLATE x1 y1 z1
  0 ROTATE T V2
    1 16 0 0 0 R 0 0 0 H 0 0 0 R 4-4cyli.dat
  0 ROTATE END
0 TRANSLATE END

(with a few other lines to define the vectors, or just substitute the
component values for the vectors).

This LDLite code can be translated to DAT code.  If you want the
pseudo-code for doing the translation, let me know, and I'll post it.

Steve