 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 649
Re: "Cartoon" renderings??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:03:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
G'day folks,

I've noticed a bunch of renderings around that look a little
cartoonish.  Notably all of the pieces have edgelines.  Here's
an (awesome!) example:

How is this done?  Personally, I'm using the MLCAD/L3P/POV-Ray
triad.

If you download a new rendering engine for POV-Ray called "MegoPOV", it
includes post-process filters. The one used in the renders you referenced is
an edge detect filter. If you read back through the .CAD news you'll find a
conversation we all had about it and I believe the specific filter settings
were posted.
One note, I've used this filter and to get the results you are looking for you
need to render at *very* high res, on the order of 1600x1200, or else the edge
lines are too "fat", even when set at only 1-pixel width.