 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 277
Re: Some POV-Ray Questions!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 02:26:27 GMT

Milovan Pejic <milovan@netcom.ca> writes:
First off, how do you make an actual ground and horizon (like Ben
Vaughan did for his Kodiak mecha)?

You add a "plane" object to your POV file, or the easy way is to turn on
the floor when using L3P.  If you're using L3PAO, all you have to do is
click the checkbox.  If not, run "l3p -h" to get the list of command line
parameters.  Adding a floor is one of them.

Second, how do you add a different background for your rendered models
(like you do with you spaceships)?

The less technical, but time consuming, and sometimes not very
satisfying, way is to render the model against the average background
color of a background you already have, and then cut the model out using
a "magic wand" or "lasso" tool and then pasting it onto the background.
That's the way most of my old backgrounds are done (especially for cloudy
skies).

Now, I make almost all my backgrounds in POV-Ray.  This can be a little
more difficult.  For my space scenes, I use a galaxy.inc include file
that I found on the web.  You can make it as easy or as hard to use as
you want :)  The easy way is to let the include file create the scene
psuedo-randomly using a number you give it.  Trial and error plays a big
role in choosing a number that gives results you like.  The harder way is
to assemble the scene piece by piece, choosing galactic objects and
placing them where you want them.  That can take a while, but once you're
done, you can use the same scene over and over again, just like TLC does
on their space sets.
HTH,
--Bram

[I hope you don't mind that I'm CCing this to LUGNET.  I think some other
people might be interested in this too.]