 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1769
Re: Camera Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:27:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

I have an object with a known bounding box,  how do I calculate the position
of the camera so that the whole object is shown on a screen of known
dimentions?  In other words, how to I determine the amount I should the
camera away from the object so that the entire object is shown in the viewport?

This document describes a method of scaling to fit a bounding sphere
into a viewport, starting somewhere around page 30.

  http://www-lmr.usc.edu/~requicha/ch2.pdf

I would think you'd have to pick a camera angle first, or fix one
of the other variables like the distance to the camera.

Don