 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1738
Re: water floor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 12:29:21 GMT

"Thomas Burger" <tburger321@aol.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:HBF1z9.9s1@lugnet.com...
im trying to make a water floor for a boat model. does anyone have maybe a
INC file, or tips on how to achieve this?

Here's the water from my "Titanic" rendering (Can be seen on Brickshelf
"Sinking ships", no URL available - I'm offline while writing). It combines
a 'plane with wawes' with a height field. The reason for the height field is
that a plane with wawes still is completely flat where the ship cuts the
water, while a height field gives more natural wawes, really sinking and
rising.

Experiment with the colors, transparency and scaling for the height field
(and plane) to get a sea you like. Do these experiments _without_ your
model, as it will take time enough anyway. Most of the color should come
from the plane, the heigh field is in fact in a dark gray, transparent
colour.

Beware: Transparent heightfields and radiosity renderings make for _VERY_
long rendering times. Don't try radiosity until you are completely happy
with the scene.

Something that is very difficult to generate is a wake after the ship, so
you'd better render a scene where it's natural for the ship to be still.

/* Water */
height_field {
    tga "HeightField.tga" // Se further down how to make this one
    smooth
    pigment { color rgbt <0.1,0.1,0.1,0.6> }
      finish {
        ambient 0
        diffuse .1
//        crand 0.03
//        specular 0.25
//        roughness 1.8
        reflection 0.5 //25
        refraction 1
        ior 1.3 //42
//        caustics .9
      }
    rotate <180, 50, 0>
    scale <5000, 100.0, 4000>
    translate <100,-20,2800>
  }
/**/

plane { y, 300.0
   pigment {
      Aquamarine /*DarkSlateBlue*/ }
      normal {
         waves 20
         frequency 30
         scale 3000.0

        }
        finish { ambient 0.5 specular 0.0 reflection 0.05 }
}

The HeightField.tga is produced with the following file, "HeightField.pov" -
make sure you set POVRay to generate a .tga file.
#include "colors.inc"

global_settings {
  assumed_gamma 2.2
  hf_gray_16
}

camera {
  location <0, 0, -10>
  look_at 0
}

plane { z, 10
  pigment {
    wrinkles
    frequency 1
    color_map {
     [0 0.3*White]
     [1 White]
    }
  }
}
light_source { <0, 20, -100> color White }

I couldn't find my 'Regina Maersk' .pov files, where the water colour is
much better :-(

As a side note, I've used the same height field to represent a snowy
landscape in one of my 'Christmas cards', and mountains (with other scaling
factors).

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm