 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1592
1591  |  1593
Subject:
More on MegaPov
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:40:52 GMT

Hi all,

A few days after my post about MegaPov 0.7 a new version was released,
compatible with POV-Ray 3.5. So to a certain point that post was a bit
pointless.

I have downloaded MegaPov 1.0 (MP1.0) for both Macintosh and Windows but
only tested it on the Macintosh (yet). The speed on the Macintosh (OS9) is
again amazing (1) and I expect that the Windows version will be as fast as
the previous version(s).

There are some interesting but complex features in this version like a cloth
option (to place a piece of cloth over an object), objects that interact
with each other and gravity and a nice feature to make pictures even more
photo realistic by “compressing” the image (soften the highlights and
brighten the dark parts). BTW, most new features are meant for animation and
require a fast CPU/FPU, loads of disk space and a lot of reading the manual.

Sadly, the refection blur (2) is omitted in this version, so if you want to
use it you should render the picture with PR3.1/MP0.7.
I don’t think I will post any “excellent render” tips for any renderer, I
want to check out some features first. And (hint to Lars) I’m desperate to
know what the new version of L3P will be like… still working on that
orthographic camera? :-(

Happy rendering! Jeroen

(1) I asked Anton Raves what his experience is with MP1.0 under OS X so I
hope he will post some comment on that. He didn’t like PR3.5 under OS X
(that is an understatement ;-) .

(2) I mentioned this in my original post
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=1585 and also made a remark that it is
CPU/FPU hungry. It is even more than I expected myself. I tested this
feature on three spheres and it rendered pretty fast. But in a complex LDraw
picture it can become painfully slow.