 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1388
Re: Making POVRAY31 for dos like the one of win9x/NT/2k/XP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:26:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
In pov-ray document they say by default POV-RAY for dos is set less quality
and that is faster can someone tell me how to set the dos version with same
setting as the windows version?

Eduardo,

(Note that everything I say is about POVRay version 3.1 -- no 3.5 for me yet.)

What you want to do is write an INI file for your scene; this file will tell
the DOS POVRAY engine the quality settings and resolution, anti-aliasing,
etc. before it renders your POV file.  The INI settings are described very
well near the beginning of the POVRay documentation; look for Chapter 3,
"POV-Ray Options", specifically 3.2.6.1, "Quality Settings".

Unfortunately, to my understanding the Windows version of POVRay does not
grok INI files very well (1), so it will be difficult for you to test them
using the windows version.  For similar reasons, I have switched to POVCyg a
long long time ago, and don't even have the windows GUI installed any more.
POVCyg is 100% pure command-line, behaves the way POVRay is described in the
POVRay documentation, and understands INI files perfectly.  As a bonus, it
also has several patched POV features including MegaPOV.  You can get it
here:  http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/povcyg/

I have a canned set of INI files I use when I render, which I will post as
replies to this message.  Note that you'll have to change their filenames to
fit in DOS's 8.3 filename restriction, which also means changing the
Include_Ini items within these files.  You'll also have to modify any
Library_Path setting, to reflect where on your hard drive the POVRay and
LGEO include files are.  After you've made these changes, the only file
you'll ever have to change again is RENDER.INI.  To use these INI files, you
use a command line like the following:

povray RENDER.INI scene.pov

Please feel free to contact me with questions, or post them here.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Who wrote that crappy GUI anyway?  And why couldn't they offer a win32
command-line version as well?  Biggest headache I've EVER had with POVRay
was that GUI...