 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1215
Re: L3PAO/POV-RAY Newbie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:34:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, David Rabadan writes:
Hello everyone.  I have been messing around with L3PAO/POV-RAY
but cannot get the colors to come out right.  Plain old black
parts come out looking "dark-grayish" but if I do transparent
black the parts come out black.  Also transparent colors are not
transparent.  Please see attached.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/dnr360/PA002/scale2_head_light.bmp

Does anyone know what I could do?
TIA

Hi,

You are right about black being dark grey. This is probably a good thing. If
they would be black they wouldn't be showing details or depth (well, maybe
but minimal).
The colour of (all) bricks depends on a few things:
the colour of the used lights (default white)
the colour of the floor (if used) and
the colour of the background.
If the last is white, colours will be very light indeed. Black becomes dark
grey and light grey sometimes shows as white.

The solution can be found in altering either the colour of the lights (make
it softer) or to use a darker background.
For the lights this means editing he POV; instead of the default:

light_source {
<0,-6672.64,-6496.64>  // Latitude,Longitude,Radius: 45,0,9180.56
color rgb <1,1,1>
}

you changes the color rgb to (for example):

light_source {
<0,-6672.64,-6496.64>  // Latitude,Longitude,Radius: 45,0,9180.56
color rgb <0.9,0.9,0.9>
}

Changing the backgound colour can be don in both L3PAO or POV-Ray.

Abou transparent colours. POV-Ray only renders these when using POV-Rays
quality-level 8 or higher. The default is 9 so normaly it shoud be rendered.
But you can add the line Quality=8 (or any number between 8 and 11) or add
the line to the Edit Settings/Render menu item. Just add +Q8 (or any number
as +Qn) in the Command line options and close with the Set but don't render
button.

Hope this helps

Jeroen