 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1063
1062  |  1064
Subject:
Acurate colours in MLCAD & Pov-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.ideas, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 03:23:20 GMT

Just recently I was trying to find an old colour for a model that I was
building.

During my searching I came across Suz's Color Reference:
http://www.baseplate.com/colors/
This had all of the colours of current & past LEGO pieces :-)

I also found a post by Steve Bliss:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/ideas/?n=122
Out of curiosity I saved it to a DAT file & opened it in MLCAD.
I then clicked on the 'More' colours button & scrolled down to #64-#104 &
found all of the colours :-)

I noticed that the colours were named after their number & some were the
wrong colour.
I then opened up the DAT file and named all the colours, reorderd them &
corrected errors (by checking them against the source code from Suz's page).
This provided me with a copy of Suz's colour chart just by clicking the
'More' colours button :-)

I then created a model with these new colours & ran it through LP3.
I found that Pov-Ray didn't recognise the colours & rendered them in the
default 'grey'.

Q. How do I get Pov-Ray to recognise my new colours.

Q. What problems would I encounter if I tried to replace the standard LDraw
colours with the more accurate ones?

Q. Is this the best/only way to add new colours in MLCAD/LDraw.

Thanks

Carl
--
Member #1165