 CAD / MLCad / 890
Re: Newbie question about MLCad
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:55:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Andrew Tyrone writes:
Everytime I need to rotate a piece, it moves off the model. Then when I
try to place it back where it belongs, it's off center (it's not
completely on both of the studs). It seems hard to explain without a
picture so let me know if you need one.

--
dataAndrew
http://www.gradzone.com/andrew

On the contrary, I know exactly what you mean!  The rotation point is set to
World Origin or Custom, which means that the piece is rotating around either
(0,0,0) or some other point, probably outside the piece you're rotating.
Have you selected just one piece or more than one?  If more than one, the
rotation point will always be World Origin, nothing to do about that.  If
just one, open Settings menu/Rotation Point, and choose Part Origin, Part
Center, or Part Rotation Point (experiment to see what works best for what
you want to do).

If in this dialog box you check on "Show Rotation Point" the rotation point
will show in the views as a black square.  If you've dragged this square by
accident, your rotation point will be set to Custom, i.e. to wherever you
dragged it.  I find this a nuisance and turn the r-p off when I'm not using it.

For out-of-alignment pieces, which often result when rotating, set your grid
to Coarse and do Edit menu/Snap To Grid.  You may get unexpected results if
you have more than one piece selected when you snap to grid.

Hope this helps!  If I've missed something, someone please correct me.

Cheers, Heather
--
Heather Patey
Pirate Wench / Brick Detective