 CAD / MLCad / 2057
Re: Rotating Gear Teeth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:18:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Mitchell Lichtenberg wrote:
In MLCad, is there a way to rotate the gear teeth of the 24 tooth gear by
employing the "Z" element toolbar commands?  The "Z" rotation command rotates
the teeth for 8, 16, and 40 tooth gears, but only the internal bar and four
holes rotate inside the 24 tooth gear while the teeth remain in place.  Does the
answer somehow lie within the Position & Orientation selector box for this
particular gear?

I want to show a gear pair operation in Flash using a number of picture files
each showing a slight rotation, but if I can't turn the teeth of the 24 tooth
gear, I can't do it.  This topic may have been covered previously but I have not
located a thread.

Hi Mitchell,

  Yes.  It is possible to turn a 24th gear using MLCad.

  When you click on the gear (placed in the X/Y plane), you should see a small
black square with a plus in it.  This is MLCad's rotation point.  If the
rotation point is in the center of the gear.  If not use tools->rotation point
menu/dialog and choose part origin.

  The default rotation values are quite large.  Even on file grid settings.  You
need to change your preferences so that the rotation is small enough to rotate
the gear a fraction of a tooth.  You are experience serious Nyquist sampling
problems with the default rotation amount so high.

Kevin

there's actually two ways of doing smaller rotations:-

1: Edit>Rotate>Keyboard Entry...
You will then get the 'Position and Orientation' window. You can use either the
'Use Rotational Vector Values' or 'Use Rotational Matrix Values' methods for
rotating your element by whatever value you require. Note the use of the
'Absolute' tickbox.

However, for sometihing like this the much simpler way is to change your
rotation preferences as Kevin says above.

2: Setting>General>Change
In the 'MLCad Settings' window choose the 'Step, Snap, Grid' tab. For your use
its probably best to just change the 'Rotation angle:' setting for 'Default for
grid fine' to a smaller amount. This means that whenever you use the fine grid
all rotations will move the smaller angle you specified. (I can't remember the
default figure for this variable)

Tim