 CAD / LeoCAD / 44
Re: A Happy Linux LeoCad User
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.leocad
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 17:07:37 GMT

From: Wayne Gramlich <WayneXYZ@GramlichXYZ.NetXYZ>

  I was away and couldn't reply before, sorry.

I just installed LeoCad 0.71.2 under Red Hat 6.2 (Linux 2.2.12-20)
with Mesa 3.2.1.  I'm running on some fairly old hardware -- a 90MHz
Pentium and an unaccelerated #9 GPX64-Pro w/2MB of video RAM.
Mouse based operations are a little on the "jerky" side, but keyboard
operations work just fine.  I'm super happy.  Thanks!

  Why did you install 0.71 when 0.72 is available ? It's much more stable.
If you prefer, get the version from the CVS server that is *much* better.

In the spirit of open source, here are some little suggestions to
make LeoCad a little better:

1. The leocad-0.71.2-linux.tgz file should probably unpack into
   a versioned directory so that subsequent unpacks of newer
   versions don't smash previously installed versions.

  Good idea, I'll fix for the next version.

2. README.txt should probably mention the
   news://lugnet.com/lugnet.cad.leocad resource.  For me,
   a newsgroup is superior to a mailing list since I can read

  Done.

3. README.txt should probably mention the newer leocad.org domain name
   instead of leocad.gerf.org.

  It's already fixed in the CVS, both addresses are on the same server so
there's no difference (but I agree that the leocad.org is better). :)

4. http://leocad.org/linux.htm mentions README.X11 .  Under Mesa 3.2.1,
   I could find no mention install the symbolic links.  The ones listed
   on the linux.htm page are backwards.  I did the following as super
user:

  This was a problem with old versions of Mesa, they used to create
libMesaGL but now that the ABI is out they are following the libGL
covention. With the current CVS version libGL is dynamically linked so it
will try to load both libraries. I'll update the webpage later.

5. Tutorial: http://leocad.org/tutorial/basic.htm:

   A. (Step 1) It took me about ten minutes to figure out to try the
      Page Up and Page Down keys to get the bricks to move in the Z axis.
      I recommend changing "You can also use the arrow keys to move ..."
      to "You can also use the arrow and Page Up/Down keys to move ..."
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   B. (Step 1) I would recommend adding "The X/Y/Z location of the
      currently selected brick is shown in the lower right corner."

   C. (Step 3) I couldn't figure out how to get search to work.
      "... just type "Car Mudguard" in the search box (1) ..." should
      probably explicitly specify what key to depress to search.  I
      tried "Enter" and nothing happened.

  I don't have the tutorial web pages right now but I'll fix them when I get
back home.

   D. (Step 5) Depressing the Key icon caused LeoCad to start flashing
      the pieces between the assembled view and some sort of disassembled
      view.  LeoCad became none responsive and I had to kill it. ;-( .
      The text describing the Key icon -- "We don?t want to make changes
      to the steps we did on the past so first click on the "key" icon on
      the toolbar (1) and ..." does not "work" for me.  I still can not
      figure out what the purpose of the "key" icon is.

  That was a bug in the Linux version, I believe I fixed it in 0.72 (or was
it in the CVS ?).

  Thanks for the suggestions !

Leonardo