Subject:
Account issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:10:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Dear all,

The webmasters have made a difficult decision on LDraw accounts due to a
proliferation of spambots and other non-genuine accounts. Please see
http://www.ldraw.org/Article578.html for updates. The text below is copied from
that article.

Tim
----

Of late there has been a massive increase in the number of spam and phishing
accounts created on LDraw.org. As we are using an ancient CMS without modern
account checks this has gone beyond the ability of the webmasters to deal with.

In order to deal with this issue account creation has been disabled and inactive
accounts have been deleted. Unfortunately this affects genuine users as well as
bots but without a better way to filter new users it seems to be the best
solution.

Once we migrate the site to a new CMS we will be able to reintroduce account
creation with automated checking in place.

An unfortunate side-effect of this is that elections for the SteerCo will need
to be further delayed until we have accounts working again or come up with an
alternative system. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.