Re: James Jessiman Memorial Award for 2009 awarded to Tim Courtney
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 02:59:53 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
The SteerCo is pleased to announce that the James Jessiman
Memorial Award (JJMA) for 2009 will be awarded to Tim Courtney.

Tim's work on behalf of LDraw cannot be understated.  Upon the sudden death of
James, the LDraw community was in turmoil.  Tim spearheaded the effort to create
and launch LDraw.org to enable James' legacy to endure.  As chief spokesman for
LDraw at many fan events, Tim brought an uncountable number of people into the
LDraw community.  Tim also lead the effort to formally organize LDraw.org by
helping to create the Standards Committee, the Steering Committee, and
co-authoring the LDraw.org bylaws.  He, along with the Jessimans, also helped to
create this award to recognize those whose efforts have furthered LDraw.

More information on the JJMA can be found at:
http://www.ldraw.org/Article222.html

Orion Pobursky
On behalf of the LDraw.org Steering Committee

Wow, I'm humbled, honored, and surprised.  Thank you.

The LDraw system has always been a great way to enhance peoples' experience with
LEGO bricks.  I'm grateful to have been a part of growing the community and the
user base, and seeing people get excited about both virtual and physical
building.

However, it was the developers and parts authors who are the real notables.  So,
I'll say thanks in return to people like Steve, Orion, Chris Dee, Kevin Clague,
Willy, and many, many more who literally built the system in the years following
James' passing.  All of you are the reasons why an award like this that honors
contributions exists in the first place.

In recent years I know I've only been on the sidelines, so imagine my surprise
to read this.  It's been a pleasure to stay in touch with people through
Brickworld each year and the occasional email, phone call, or meal while on the
road or when someone swings through Chicago.  I read postings when I can, and
I'm always available via email, to get together, or talk LDraw, so keep in
touch.

Thanks again, everyone.  This means a lot.

Tim