Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:24:58 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
Guys,

quoting Jim Morrison (The Doors) I'd say: "The end is near". Obviously I'm
talking just about 2009. Updating LDraw's history page:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article11.html

I have to admit that I've forgotten to update the page last year. I would
appreciate if you could fill in the gaps where the official data fails:

The LSC Summary: http://www.ldraw.org/Article399.html
The SteerCo Summary: http://www.ldraw.org/Article383.html
Part Updates: http://www.ldraw.org/Article519.html
              http://www.ldraw.org/Article540.html
              http://www.ldraw.org/Article544.html
Others:
3rd LEGO Universe Patch: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=16525

w.

Really great work!

I would have liked to contribute to the article by writing in it, but I'm aware
that my English is far from perfect. So I just add some of my thoughts as an
input.

The main focus seems to be on the various administrational, juridical and
techincal standards issues. And without those endless hours of important
non-profit work, there would have been no LDraw. As a part of the early history
of LDraw, maybe rec.toys.lego could be mentioned.

However, the main subject of LDrawing is IMO neither new parts in the library,
nor the format standards, nor the administration. Again, all three ingredients
are of course absolutely essential for the survival and development of LDraw.
It's not entirely forgotten in Article11, but very little is written about the
end product of LCad: 3D models. Sympthomatically, POTM is mentioned, but not
MOTM or SOTM.

On enabling LDrawers to display their LDraw models, I think the role of
Brickshelf.com is worth mentioning. And I think Datsville was a very important
milestone in the history of LDraw. There must be more model oriented works and
projects worth mentioning too, but I can't recall any right now.

Thanks for all your efforts!
/Tore