Re: 2007/2008 LDraw Standards Committee (LSC) Election is open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. I just didn't realize there were so many distinct layers on
the LDraw onion. I figured since it's being discussed on Lugnet instead of some
internal LDraw mailing list, it fell into the same "members" category as the
MOTM/POTM votes also announced here.

I think I should point out here that while LUGNET and LDraw.org are very
complementary to each other, they are two completely separate organizations.

That being said, it's understandable to assume that having an ldraw.org site
login (for MOTM/SOTM/POTM voting) makes you a member of the ldraw.org
organization.  As you found out, this is not the case.  As far as I know, the
only things that LDraw orginization members get is the ability to vote in
official ldraw.org elections, and the ability to join the LDraw organization
mailing list (which incidentally hasn't had a single post made to it, according
to its archive).

Speaking of the mailing list, what exactly is its purpose?  I can see posting
election announcements there (call for nominations, call for votes, and results)
in addition to on LUGNET, although I'm not sure this would really accomplish
anything.

The intent was for it to be a announcement vehicle but this was neglected for 2
reasons:
- There's a problem with automatic subscription to the list when you sign up as
an org member that I haven't ferreted out yet.
- 99% of the active org membership also reads LUGNET

There is a 3rd reason:
- We're not as organized or as large as some online orgs.  In other words,
despite the fact that 137 users are in the OrgMember group, we have about 10-15
that actively participate in day-to-day discussion here on LUGNET.  This means
that mailing lists of this type tend to not be used since most of us are also on
LDraw.org's other internal mailing lists.

-Orion