Re: File queue of hold voted parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 18:59:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Mastros wrote:
Willy Tschager wrote:
would it be possible to add a second queue to the PT, listing just parts with a
hold vote to have an overview how long they are already hang around there? it
would be easier to sort out the orphans.
Relatedly...
1) The only part I've uploaded thus far, a ####a, got a hold vote because it'd
require moving the existing #### to ####b (with a ~Moved) file.  Is this a valid
reason to hold, or something the admin would do if it got approved?  I'd think
it should be the later, because otherwise what's really a question of one part
file becomes three on the tracker.

As an admin I will handle the renumbering of ####.dat to ####b.dat, but only if
it is brought to my attention. At present I do not get automatically notified of
all holds, but this is an enhancement I am working on. Please indicate (either
here of by mail to parts@ldraw.org) which file you are concerned about and I'll
sort it out.

2) What is the purpose of requiring the parts admins to upload updates to
existing parts?  It'd seem to put more load on the admins, and make it more
difficult for users to improve existing parts.  The only gain that I see is that
it keeps typo'd part numbers from creating "accidental upgrades".  It'd seem to
me that that's handleable by simply including "appears to be an upgrade of
$title" in the page of tests results you get on upload.

This is to prevent erroneous submission of new parts with numbers already used
in the official library. Typically I turn around such requests in less than a
day. Is there any evidence that this is an overbearing burden on the admins?

But actually, I would prefer authors to work on extending the library with new
parts in preference to continually trying to improve or make variants for
existing parts.

-=- James Mastros,
Mildly frustrated beginning parts editor,
who should really post his questions about transverse road signs somewhere.

Chris