Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:08:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Peter Howkins wrote:
Chris Dee wrote:
Speaking personally [1]:

Understood.

For the initial CA we should contact everyone who's got Submit
rights, plus anyone named in a Name: line for whom we have contact
details. New users should be asked to accept the CA as part of them
getting Submit rights.

For future changes, I would only consider "authors" as those who
have contributed content (original parts and modifications to
previously issued parts) to the then current official parts library.
This would exclude those who signed up but never got around to
submitting anything and those whose work had not yet contributed
to the official library.

That seems a little harsh to an author under this kind of situation ...

1) Person A submits part to parts tracker, agrees to CA.

2) Part has small issue with it preventing it from being approved quickly

3) Ldraw SteerCo changes End User license agreement from 1 to 2. Even though
   Person A hates license 2, they have no voting power to argue against it.

4) Person B fixes Person As part

5) Part is approved and enters official library distributed under End
   User license 2. Person A is understandably upset.

I'd think that under your method, all people that have submitted
content under the terms of the CA should have a right to vote
on any change to the End User license. After all they could all
be affected by it's changes regardless of whether their work is
in the official library yet.

Peter

OK - this is a timing thing - we can fine tune the qualification criteria. What
I was trying avoid was people who have expressed a desire to author parts, yet
never got around to doing so, having a strong influence in the distribution
license. For example, Person X wants to do somethine unconventional with the
LDraw library, so he and a whole bunch of him chums sign up as part authors
because they object to the current distribution license, but with no intention
of ever making a part. They lobby hard to get the license changed and are then
able to carry the vote in their favour.

I think we are all paying too much attention to the fact that the license
_might_ be changed, rather than focusing on getting it as right as possible now.

Chris