Re: Moving the License Forward
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:11:10 GMT

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Tim Courtney wrote:

***DRAFT*** Contributor Agreement ***DRAFT***

Bu submitting parts to the Parts Tracker, the part author (from here forward the
"Author,") agrees to the following terms.

I am uncomfortable with the specific phrasing and reference to the Parts
Tracker.  Consider the situation[1] where author Alpha creates a part and
publishes it on the Web.  Author Beta then contacts Alpha and asks that it
be submitted to the Tracker.  Alpha replies that Beta has his permission
to submit it to the Tracker.  In doing so, Alpha is making the part
available to the LDraw community, but his part could not be used in the
library, because no amount of sophistry can disguise the fact that *Beta*,
not the original part author, submitted the part.  By the terms of the
Contributor Agreement, Alpha has no way to agree to its terms except by
personally submitting parts.

The author retains all rights to the parts submitted except for the right of
redistribution.

By submitting parts to the Parts Tracker, the Author grants permission to other
authors to modify their work and resubmit the revised work to the library.
LDraw.org members may create derivative works of submitted parts, using in whole
or in part the code from the submitted parts for the purposes of creating
additional parts to submit to the library.

These two statments conflict.  Controlling the creation of derivative
works is one of the rights owned by the copyright holder, and is not
related to redistribution.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

[1] Or try searching lugnet.cad.dat.parts for "gonta".