Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:18:36 GMT

What follows are my opinions, not vetted with the rest of the committee...

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, "Larry Pieniazek"
<larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote:
[snipped tons]
So long as there are minimal requirements that prevent LDraw.org from ever
charging for the library distribution, or distributing it in a closed-source
format, I see no problem with this.

Thanks Tim. The minimal requirements you speak of are incorporated in the Bylaws
(in the goals of the organization section) already. Bylaws can be changed but I
think anyone proposing such a change would be shouted down and rightly so.

Sorry I'm coming late to this party...

At some point in this thread, Larry stated something about 'decoupling' the two
licenses.  To some extent, I agree with this, but...

The contributor license should include some baseline, never-to-be-changed, conditions
to which LDraw.org agrees.  It doesn't matter if they are in the bylaws, they should
also be in the license.  Even if it's a redundant restatement.

Yes. Personally I strongly agree that there ought to be baseline never to be
changed conditions..  and that they ought to be named off. (note: that conflicts
with using a canned license verbatim)

The most important of these terms is that LDraw will always distribute the library at
no charge to users.  And as open source, if we all agree to that.  Some forms of
distribution may be have an associated charge, as long as there is a free and
convenient distribution method.

I like all of the above a lot.