Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:48:05 GMT

I have to agree (and I know as a non-part author myself other than pathetic
attempts which never saw the light of day by point will be held in less regard
than those of actual offical part authors') that all parts should be open
source.  Not that people should be "stealing" other author's work and
resubmitting it as their own without giving due credit to original authors...
but the ultimate goal should be to make the highest quality and highest quantity
of parts possible as quickly as we all can.  Restrictive permissions hampers
this process badly.  If say I see a part that's been no'd on the part tracker
for flaws for months, marooned and likely to never see daylight then there
should be no restriction on I or anyone else (especially the part admins) on
making the desperately needed part right as quickly as possible to get it out
there.  There should be dozens and dozens of part library updates a year instead
of 6 if we're lucky.  But the process is too slow when only one person is
allowed to work on a part and as mentioned those people frequently fade in and
out of the community due to interest or the ever pressing real world.  Should
the goal here not be to model every single part there is faster than Lego
produces new ones so we can get caught up to the point where EVERY part is
modeled sometime before the next millenium?  This is especially true with
patterned parts where only a few subparts or whatnot need to be added to an
existing official part.  I say if you want to submit parts you should be
prepared to surrender them completely.  You're not making them for fame and
profit.  You're making them so we can all use them.  Having copyrighted anything
on ldraw when it's non-profit is quite silly.  The entirety of the text in any
licensing agreement should be "Do with it what you will".  Not one word more or
less.  No lawyers, no IP, no squabbles.  Just give it all of us or sit in the
dark playing with yourself.  There's no place here for 3rd grader-esque "I'm
taking my ball and going home"  crap.