Re: License Intent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:08:56 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Dan Boger wrote:
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 01:54:41AM +0000, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
* Author grants perpetual license but does not block LDraw from
  revising as necessary (as long as open source, free distribution is
  adhered to)

Wasn't there a question if an author agrees to distribute the part under
a specific license?  As in, if you change the license, do you need to
get permission from the authors, etc?

Yes.  If possible, I'd like to see a method by which we can revise the licence
but have to get explicit agreement from every author.

I think I disagree here. One of the problems we have right now is when we
implement the license, we will have to explicitly seek each author's approval.
Some authors will be unreachable, which means we won't be able to gain their
perimssion to include their parts.

I'd rather not have to re-seek permission from each author for license changes
in the future, so we don't put ourselves in the same place we're in now. We
can't help the condition now, but we can prevent it in the future.

I think the contributor agreement (what each author, present and future agrees
to) should give LDraw.org permission to modify the license, so long as parts are
always distributed in an open source format, and not for profit. Maybe some
other core criteria. So long as our most basic standards and guiding principles
are adhered to, LDraw.org should have the liberty to institute the license it
feels is best as the steward of the authors' contributions.

Again, the reason I say this is so we don't end up in a similar situation in the
future.

* License should apply to other "works" not just parts
* Assurance to user that parts will not disappear from the library

Are we still allowing us to rename parts?  What about retire parts that
were a mistake, or a depriciated shortcut?  Since we said that the
license is for other works as well, are those not allowed to be
removed/merged as well?

I want the ability to evolve the library.  What I'm worried about is an author
pulling their part out of the library for non-technical reasons.  The intent of
the "assurance" is to ensure that part will not be remove unless there is a
technical need to do so.

Right.

Is this all implementation?  I think some of these should fit into
goals.

Open issues: (some are related to implementation and are so noted)

* Parts migration... require explicit recertification? (implementation?)

"migration" - do you mean converting to another format?  To another
license?

I believe this refers to format. Lar, clarification?

* One license or two (implmentation)

It's only partially implementation - some of the arguments that were
made were based upon goals, but I'm not sure about that.

I do want to move forward with this, I'm just worried that if I don't
say anything now, I won't be able to ask for clarifications later.

I think I can speak for the SteerCo in saying that there is no time that is "too
late" to bring up issues.  While we can't please everyone, I'd think to try and
get as many people on board as possiblely.  This can only be accomplished by
allowing discussion during the entire process.

I agree here.

-Tim