Subject:
I can't load my new files...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 00:54:14 GMT

...Because someone took my part numbers.

Well over a year ago (closer to two years ago, if memory serves), I was given
the range of x460 through x489 for any LDraw file I wrote whose part number I
didn't know.  (These are called "temporary part numbers.")  I just finished
encoding a part, for which I used three of these temp. part numbers (for a "open
usage" guide).  Unfortunately, when I tried to upload these files, the Tracker
told me these numbers were already in use...

What the hey? I thought, I don't recall loading anything with these filenames
yet.  So I checked, and discovered someone had been using my numbers (since July
of last year).

Now, since most of the these files he had uploaded were Train parts, I had not
noticed these files before.  (I don't have any LEGO Train sets.)  Never the
less, these file numbers had been assigned to me, so I have first claim to using
them.  >:/

However, I gave the person the benefit of the doubt.  I am assuming that he
didn't know he needed to get a range of temp. part numbers from an Admin.  I
merely placed "Hold" votes on all of the offending files (instead of
over-writing the ones I needed to use right now).

I really, **really** wanted to upload my files tonight.  :(  Instead, I'll wait
a fair amount of time (24 hours or so), for the Admins to re-number his files
elsewhere.

Franklin