Re: Must everything be php?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:44:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Don Heyse wrote:
Why does everything on ldraw.org have to be converted to php links?
This is insane.  For instance, I noticed the "recent article box" on
the top right of the main page says Bram Lambrecht's LDraw & Ledit
tutorial was posted on the Feb. 10th.  I'd really like to link to that
tutorial from my website, but unfortunately it's now a useless mess.
None of the links work because they're not that hideous php format:

  http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=262

That means nothing to me.  What's wrong finding a nice place for the
original html files?  Something with an catchy name like this:

  http://www.ldraw.org/tutorials/LdrawAndLedit.html

and just skipping the whole php tranformation.

By the way, where do less recent articles go once they scroll off the
bottom of the new articles box?  Do they disappear, never to be seen
again?  Or Is there a list of all the older php articles somewhere?

Also, do you really want a box with recently posted, but pretty much
useless garbage, right there on the front page?  I got all excited
when I saw the tutorial was posted, but it didn't last once I clicked
on the link and saw the mess.

Don

Don,

I'm still working on the posting of this tutorial.  This mean that none of the
links internal to the tutorial will work until I'm done.

As for the long urls, there is a simple shortcut.  Note the "sid=262" postion of
the url.  Take that number and use the following format:

http://www.ldraw.org/article/xxx

Replace xxx with the number you noted above.  This works for all the articles on
LDraw.org.

The articles on LDraw.org are split up into Topics.  The master Topic list can
be found here:

http://www.ldraw.org/Topics

From there you can link out to the individual article lists.

-Orion