Re: Question about legacy pages on ldraw.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:00:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   I have a link in my LDView download page to the old Get Started: Linux Users page at ldraw.org. At the moment, it still works, but as far as I can tell, the new site has no equivalent page, although you can still get to this page if you go to the Contests page and use its old link bar across the top to get to the old Download page.

Is the old content going to stick around? If not, will there be an annonouncement before the old pages are removed so that people who link to them can at least try to find equivalent pages on the new site? Is there currently a better way to access the lost content without knowing the original URLs?

Please don’t misunderstand me here. I think it’s great what you are doing with the site, and redoing an entire website is a huge undertaking. However, it appears that some of the important (to some people at least) content got lost in the shuffle, and I was just wondering what the plans are for it.

Yeah, I still have a link to the same page, for the same reasons. So obviously I have similar concerns. I think I squirreled away a copy of that page via wget just in case. While we’re on the subject, is there anyone out there with enough experience on the newer hardware accelerated linux xfree-4/opengl/glx/dri/kernel-driver installation (on the various distributions) who can update the old generic linux install page? I don’t think I’ve worked with it enough to do it right yet.

Don