Subject:
[Parts Tracker] Coming Soon: Email Notification!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:56:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The following notice was emailed to all Parts Tracker users today.  If you
did not receive this email, please contact me by email.  If you've got
questions, comments, etc, let's hear them! :)

Steve

Hello!

You are recieving this message because your email address is associated
with a userid on LDraw.org's Parts Tracker
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/>.  I've bcc'ed everyone's address,
in case anyone is sensitive about revealing their email address to
the other PT users.  If you no longer wish to be an author or reviewer
for ldraw.org, please let me know.

The purpose of this message is to inform you that I am going to start
working on an email-based notification system for the PT.  This system
will send you messages when different events occur on the PT.  At first,
I'm planning on implementing a single event-notification:

   When a Hold review is posted against a file, a notification will be sent
   to the user who submitted the most recent version of the file.

I've chosen this specific event because it's something that can easily
be programmed into the system.  We *can't* send notices to the "Author" of
a file, because the Author: entries are not necessarily associated with a
good current email address.

We also shouldn't send notices to anyone who has ever submitted a version
of the file, because the activity log is kept forever.  5 years from now,
do you really want to get notices about files you wrote back in the day?

The notification system will *not* reveal your email address to any other
user.

In the future, we'll probably have more types of notification, and options
to control notification, so you can choose to opt-in or opt-out of various
notices.

In addition to programming the notifications, I also have to add the
ability for admins to submit files "on behalf" of other users, so the PT
will know the proper person to notify.  There will probably also be a
"file released" event added to the activity log, so we can easily identify
users who have interacted with any file in its "current iteration" of
update and release.  This way, we'll have a decent set of users to notify
about different events.

I'm hoping to get the notification system up and running in the next few
days.  So don't be surprised if you start seeing PT notices in your email.

If you have questions, concerns, comments, etc. please email me or post
about them on lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw.  If you don't use LUGNET, please
let me know about that, because the lugnet.cad.* groups are a primary
means of group communication for ldraw.org.

Steve Bliss
PT admin