Subject:
[Parts Tracker] Posting other people's parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:45:40 GMT

I've noticed a number of files where the person who submitted the file is
not the author (other than the ones I've submitted as admin).  There's
enough of this happening, that I feel I need to make the following statement:

In general, you should *not* submit the work of other people to the Parts
Tracker.  If you know of part files that you feel should be submitted, you
can and should:

1. Contact the author, and let them know that you like their part files, and
you think it would be good if they contributed their work to the LDraw.org
Parts Library.  And give them information about how to do it.
2. If they are positive, but not interested in doing the legwork themselves,
you can offer to post the files for them.  In this case, when you submit
*each* file, you should include a comment that you are submitting the part
on someone else's behalf, and you have permission to do so.

In the past, I've been haphazard about including such notices on fixed files
I submit.  I'll be more careful in the future.

Steve