Subject:
OMR FILENAMES - Decision Time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:52:45 GMT

I feel it is time to take what we have discussed and bring it all together
to reach a final resolution on the filename format.  Soon.

In summary, we have discussed how to make an 8.3 only system of filenames,
a long filename system, and a system using subdirectories.  The general
concensus leans towards subdirectories because of their cleanliness and
because they have been tested and work well in our existing software.

I would agree with the subdirectory format for naming as well.  It also
opens doors to further organization within the LDraw models directory.

This is one of the many things that are yet to be decided about ldraw.org.
We need to wrap this up for the sake of our own sanities as well,
especially mine.  The discussion has fizzled into 'what we could do if,' so
for the most part the meat has been well chewed (sorry...its 6:30 am and I
have been up since 5:45 (yes, in the summer!!) reading my large vats of
email on the subject).

Lets develop a final draft of the file naming system by tomorrow morning.
Enough has been discussed to cleanly do so.  So Todd, Bram, etc.. if you
could again come up with examples of subdirectories and break the system
down, I will read, reply to, and summarize what has been written in a post
which contains the final draft of the file naming system.

-Tim Courtney
ldraw.org Project Coordinator

http://www.ldraw.org
http://www.zacktron.com