Re: LDraw.org Future Plans/Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:19:09 GMT

When I started using MLCAD/L3P/POV-RAY, I had quite a few issues.

- Installation - The existing ldraw.org was pretty good in instructing how
to find and install these things.  However, I had to wade through a bunch of
stuff to figure out that these three programs were one of the most popular
combinations.  Also, I have now started using L3PAO which is much easier
than L3P.  Last time I looked, there was no reference to L3PAO.

- Integrating the 3 programs - I had to figure this out on my own!  It would
be great to have a little tutorial on how to save your MLCAD file, run L3P,
and then some basics on using POV-RAY.  It took me forever to figure out how
to make POV-RAY display a larger image than the default (that is about
100x100).

- Changing the camera location/angle.  It took me about a month to figure
this out.  I think I'm now really good at it and can quickly position the
camera with ease.  I wrote a series of posts about this on the LUGNET.CAD
groups recently.  I'd be happy to write up a short blurb for ldraw.org if
you are interested.

- Performance in MLCAD - This is a BIG deal.  I hit grinding performance
problems the very first time I used MLCAD.  The software has gotten faster
(with new releases), but i've also come across numerous tricks (sub-models,
turning off studs or using reduced draw quality, etc) that dramatically
affect peformance.

- Performance in POV-RAY - This is another BIG deal.  I still hit POV-RAY
performance issues, but i've learned to turn off certain options to at least
do quick displays.  Also, using sub-models can DRASTICALLY improve
performance, if done properly.

It would be great if all these issues were covered in greater depth on
ldraw.org.

Also, it would be great to have a centralized parts repository for
"unofficial parts."  Perhaps there could be a "buddy review' system where a
part can be accepted into a temporary holding repository if one or two
people have looked at and approved your part?  Perhaps lugnet.cad.parts is
good enough???

Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote in message
We have been doing a lot of thinking and planning for the future focus of
LDraw.org recently.  Within a week or so, a new section of the site is • planned
to be released.  From this, a slight restructuring will take place but • nothing
fundamentally different.  I want to take some time to share some thoughts • and
get some input on the future direction.

Its obvious that the LCAD community has moved far beyond the original • LDraw
software. This is great!  It shows that we are growing and more things are
becoming available to make life easier for those who want to make stunning • 3D
models, instructions, and more.  I want the website to reflect those • changes,
for a change.

Without totally revealing what is going to happen in a week, the site will • take
more of an MLCad focus.  From there I intend to help the site bring forth • ideas
and information about other programs that are currently popular - LDView, • L3Lab,
L3P, etc.  A lot of these programs have been popular but there hasn't been • a lot
of information out there on them.

I have to admit that I'm not the expert on all of these programs. • Personally, I
use MLCad and L3P minimally to create some instructions and renderings
occasionally.  I have to go through learning more about what each one of • these
does and how it impacts the DAT universe as well.

For those of you who are experts on these utilities, I'd like to see more
information on the site about them.  I'm thinking about gradually adding a • few
features to the site which will make it more like a magazine - voices of • the
users of the LCAD community coming out and providing this information for • the
rest of the people out there.  I encourage people to write articles about
utilities like LDView and L3Lab to get more people interested, share the • latest
usage tips, troubleshooting, etc.  All of this will help grow the LCAD
community.

So...from there, I'd like to hear thoughts on where the site can go to • provide
more for the needs of the LCAD users, new users, and the current popular
utilities.  LDraw.org will move its focus away from the old LDraw (while • it will
still be promoted, not as exclusively), and into the new stuff, something • that's
been needed for some time.

Recently Tom McDonald came 'on board' with the site to help out, and his • task is
converting some tutorials over to ldraw.org format.  These will be up in • the
relative near future as well.

Please send ideas and suggestions, and if you have something to write • about, its
much appreciated!  Thanks.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne