Re: LDraw.org Future Plans/Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:37:09 GMT

"James J." <jejackso@memphis.edu> wrote in message news:G5E0A3.ID6@lugnet.com...

Is this a completely "good" idea? I've only recently learned LCAD and have
been using LDraw/LEdit - a builder's standard - for about 3 years now. In
fact, when I first downloaded my copy, James Jessiman (yes, we share initials
and first names) was still alive (or so I believe...). While it's true that
MLCAD is a (very) good program, it is still changing, and has more growing to
do before it reaches the standards composed in LDraw.

Yes, it is a good idea to move past the old LDraw and into the new stuff like
MLCad.  Though LDraw will still be available and supported, the newer programs
will be more featured because that is what is popular and easiest to use for
most, and that is what will grow the LCAD community the most.  There's
advancements being made on the newer software where the old isn't being updated.
The trend has shifted even in terminology from 'I'm going to go LDraw that
model' to 'I'm going to go MLCad that model' - I've seen it in many circles
online, on and off LUGNET.

LDraw is not being abandoned by any means, but other software must be brought to
the front.

Although I don't know all the particulars about LDLite, I know that MLCAD's
primary advantage over our beloved originator, is that MLCAD takes to decimals
much better than does LDRAW (rounding to .001 -- .000001 in piece rotations,
instead of .01). Otherwise, the upside of seeing 4 different views is also
intriguing.

And its in an easy to use Windows interface.

In short, give a close look at the new stuff (MLCAD, etc.), but stay with the
old standby.

Of course.  The old stuff will never go away, and it will always be used as a
standard to compar to.  I'm sure it will always have users too.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne