Re: LDraw.org Future Plans/Help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:19:24 GMT

"ludo soete" <ludo.soete@village.uunet.be> wrote in message
Hi Tim,

Good idea, perhaps (i hope so !) we can get some more detailed 'help' on the
new programs/ utilities. There are a lot unknow / un documented buttons in
those programs. I'm looking forward to it.

Ludo

That's a great idea.  Right now, Tom McDonald is working on converting Bram
Lambrecht's LDraw/LEdit tutorial to the LDraw.org format, and also we have
permission to integrate the MLCad tutorial into LDraw.org as well.  It would be
wonderful if we could get some authors/users of those utilities to document them
and write tutorials and reference guides for inclusion on the site.  That would
be one more step in fulfilling all of what LDraw.org was supposed to be from the
beginning.

Right now I'm almost done with the work for the big update this week.  I hope to
make a lot more headway tonight and maybe tomorrow night to have it up by the
middle of the week.  I believe everyone will be pleased with what is in store.
Also, a lot more things will be organized better - it will be easier to write
articles for inclusion on the site since I've organized the past features into a
News index, with title, author, date, and brief.  This will be accessible from a
side menu bar image link.

Now that 99% of the site is in Macromedia Dreamweaver, its a heck of a lot
easier to update.  The entire site will be template-driven so adding new menu
items or changing layouts globally will be easy.

Also, we have a couple volunteers for some programming.  I've put out a request
for development of a program developer management system.  I hope to have a
system where program authors can sign up on the site and create/manage the
program download templates themselves.  I do not know the timeframe for
completion.

More to come when it gets online.  As always, help welcome on this - especially
if you would like to write a tutorial or detailed documentation of a program for
the reference section.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne