Re: File management
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:00:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan J Farrington wrote:

When making official models (and unofficial models for that matter),
there are minifigs, submodels, and sub assemblies to deal with.  You put
them all together in one .mpd file, but then you also have these other
files left in the \Models directory.  I was wondering what anyone else
does with these files.  Do you put them in separate directories, do you
delete them, or do something else?

If you've got the files stuffed into an MPD, there's no real need to keep
separate copies of them.  I do it anyway, but I'm weird.

If a file is truly junk, I'll delete it.

I move all my completed/inactive projects out of the Models directory, to a
Projects directory.

Under the Projects directory, I have a directory for each individual
project.  Sometimes, I have multiple directories inside a project.  That
way, I can keep working files, alternate versions, the published version,
etc., etc.  This is especially true for parts I've done, because I usually
want to keep one copy with all my notes, subfiles, etc., that I don't think
belong in the published version.

The newer tools are not so tied to ldraw\models\, so it's getting easier to
manage model/part files.  With MLCad's support for MPD, it's easier yet.

Steve