 CAD / Development / Organizations / LDraw / *1366 (-10)
  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message news:p61uetc27fg7opi...4ax.com... (...) I think I see it now. As far as broken models go, we don't want that. I have had a couple of those, and that's frustrating. I got your message in this (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) I think I can use my part-voting-preparation utilities to generate a webpage like the ones we use for voting. So people could check out what the unofficial parts are, and either download them all in one shot, or just grab what they want. Steve (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) I think Chris is right. It will be challenging to disclaim an unofficial update in a way that nobody will get upset later. When we do officialize the pieces, there will be orientation changes, and different part numbers with no forwarding (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Problems with reaching www.ldraw.org

Tim, I think it would be a Good Thing to make this a news item on the ldraw.org homepage. And then park it permanently on ldraw.org somewhere (like in an ldraw.org FAQ). It won't help people at the time they're having the problem, but they'll be (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) The problem I see with releasing the current unofficial parts in a single download is that it's going to make it harder for anyone who wants to help out in checking individual parts - they're going to have to download a large ZIP file of parts (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) Well tell me then. Larry. How hard is it to just zip up the parts that have already been submitted, and why? Are they all not sitting in a directory somewhere on someone's hard drive? Or are they really scattered in an ad-hoc fashion? Trust (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) Do you really think this is a 10 minute job? If so you must really have a low opinion of the gang, then, that they would hold out on you to save a mere 10 minutes of their time. I hope that's not the case, but rather that you're just really (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) Zipping up the parts already collected: 5 minutes Writing the disclaimer: 2 minutes Uploading zipfile and disclaimer to LDRAW.ORG: 3 minutes Catching the warm glow as the parts preview is released: Priceless. For the really big tasks there's a (...) (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) You can't have your cake and eat it too, Jeremy! Who do you think would be doing a significant portion (hopefully not all, but non zero) of the packaging task? ++Lar (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: We need an update NOW (Was: Parts Update?)

(...) Let's not reinvent the wheel. This process is already largely done, I would think, as part of the new parts update system now in development. The interim solution needs to be quick & easy for the implementors. Cheers, - jproat (23 years ago, 1-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact