 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 267
Re: BrickDraw3D comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:33:15 GMT

Thanks James for the enthusiastic response - I'll surely be working on bug
fixes.

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, James Reynolds writes:

I like having a parts list. It makes a HUGE diffe • rence. I also love being
able to click and drag the parts.  What determines what plane the part is
dragged in?

There's some bug here. It is supposed to be the baseplate plane, subject to
certain MODIFIER keys (see the webpage).

The single feature that makes this version unusable for me is not being able
to zoom and pan.  Maybe in OS 9 it does and in Mac OS X it doesn't?

nope, sorry

Can you add a 0,0,0 crosshair?  That way when I create models that are
included in other models, I can tell where the center is.

Does this search the models directory for parts?  Say I have a model that
references bla.dat, and bla.dat is in the models directory.  Will it be
found?  How about recursively searching the models directory?  So if I have
MODELS/myparts/bla.dat, it will be included in other models.

it looks always in P, PARTS, MODELS. It will look recursively IF a part in
that folder has been used explicitly. For example if your model uses a part
in a subfolder like myparts/bla.dat then bla.dat is allowed to use anything
inside myparts.

Adding user parts folders is in the future.

How does one add a part to the model?  I did accomplish it, but it was hit
and miss.  Meaning, what I thought I did to get the part in the first time
didn't work the second time.

the drag code has a problem recognizing the baseplate in Carbon.

It asks me to choose the LDRAW folder each time I launch it.  It did this in
OS 9 last night too.

if it's still broken, try deleting your preferences file once and for all

is there anything funny about your hard disk? Like two volumes, not running
it from your boot volume, or home directory on another volume, or a network
share?

Viewing large models is hard.  Of course it takes awhile to draw (ok, I am
not using the fastest hardware here, a G3/466 iBook; my G4 "buick" is at
work...).  I am assuming the OpenGL rendering is hardware accelerated...?
(drool, drool...)

One thing I would like is for the model window to update as it redraws.

Yeah, this could be an option ... haven't tried to do it. I'm surprised
anything redraws from your window drag???

Then, there is some weirdness when selecting a menu or moving the window
with large models. It takes 10 seconds before the menu appears.

I think that's just the redraw going on. Or OS X is treating me program
weird. Or something. Later.

Anyway, I am very excited to get this.  Every time I look at the lego stuff,
I just want to make movies of them.  Seeing BrickDraw almost has motivated
me to try to get L3P ported again and finish my Lani app...  hmm.

Watch the 'Export' menu. I would love to have POV export there. DXF too.