 CAD / Development / 9560
Re: lugnet.cad.dev (2004.03.03.1000) #9551 (1 article)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:04:53 GMT

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%windir%\ldraw.ini

Unix:
$LDRAWINI
$HOME/.ldrawrc
$HOME/ldraw.ini
/etc/ldraw.ini

Mac:
plist or like Unix?

Well, there is Mac OS 8-9 and Mac OS X.

Mac OS 8-9:

The search path for the ini/pref file is:
/System Folder/Preferences

There is no where else it should be saved.  Andrew can tell you what
the format is (I don't think it is xml/plist).

Mac OS X:

I think if we had the option, it would be better to save info in an xml
formated plist file and look for it at:

~/Library/Preferences
/Library/Preferences

I joined this tread late too.  What exactly is going in the ldraw.ini
besides location of ldraw folder?  Has that been decided?

Like Andrew said, Mac OS X keeps a pref file for every app, and the
system uses that file to store anything that uses system API's like
window position, and last locations in the open/save dialogs.  But if
we are going to use a centralized pref for info like LDraw folder
location, once we decide what to do, the hard work is done.

Andrew and I are the only active Mac-only developers.  Erik Olson is
the only other one that I know of, and I haven't heard anything from
him for over a year.  Oh, there was a guy at Apple who wrote something,
but he moved on.  And of course there are the multi-platform apps like
Ldglite, L3P, and LDView.  I told Travis I was going to update the Mac
LDView to the current version, but then something happened and I quit
doing LDraw stuff.  I hope to update it one day.  I could at least
update the current Mac version of LDView so that it at least looks for
prefs in a new location (but it will still be a very old version of
LDView).   Maybe we could try to get Erik to update BrickDraw3D.

James