 CAD / Development / 95
Re: News-by-Mail digests
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:07:33 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

All right then, let's back up a bit.  You said earlier that the "live feed
[of lugnet.cad.dev] [was] driving [you] nuts."  What exactly drives you
nuts?  It the fact that mail messages arrive to your inbox at random times
of the day (producing an audible noise or flagging you to read something)?
Or is it the fact that the messages come as separate messages instead of a
single message?

Mainly that I all of a sudden got flooded with ANOTHER pile of Emails when
this was started up.  I don't mind the CONTENT, but I prefer it in Digest
form.  I get anything I can in Digest form, unless it is something that I
NEED realtime.

How acceptable would it be to you if the messages still came separately to
you, but were only sent out to you once a day -- in batches?

That MIGHT be OK, but in a heavy traffic newsgroup, it won't help.
Communicator slows WAY down once you get over 1k messages in a folder, no
matter the size of the messages, and Digests take a lot longer to break 1k
than individual posts ;-)

Another question.  If actual digests happen, I would probably set the
outgoing headers like this: